Ralph Higgins

Ralph Higgins
color pencil sketch by Gayle Higgins

Quotes I Like


“Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

-Albert Einstein

StatCounter

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dick Whitaker



I’ve decided to skip the article I had planned to post on my blog this week.  If you read my last post about building forts and my book on growing up in the ‘50s I should tell you that my partner in crime as a kid and my close buddy for over 65 years, Dick Whitaker, passed away last night.

I may or may not post this, since I’m still trying to process the loss.  Since I know Dick’s faith, I’m sure we’ll meet again.  I don’t want this to be a eulogy, because many of you don’t know Dick and anything I say might be distorted by emotions. 

Anyway, I’ll get back to my normal ramblings next week.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ralph. Roger just notified me of Dick's passing.

    Very appropriate to take a few days off from your blog.

    Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you who knew much better than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to hear of your loss of a friend and Dick's family. Met Dick on a few occasions and certainly saw him as a quality person.
    Please give our condolences to his family.
    The Canadians

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear of Dick's passing Ralph. I would run into him off and on while out and about in Los Gatos. Hadn't seen him around for quite a while though. Please give my condolences to his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick would let me know when he saw you around town. He had been fighting this thing for about a year, so he may not have been as active. When he stopped his treatments, it hit hard and he went fast. Frankly, that may be the only positive I can find right now.

      Delete
  4. Dick loved everyone and could always be found at the head of any planned or unplanned event or prank. I'm sad but I know Dick will be waiting for us to join him so he can tell us how great a time we'll all have.

    My love to you too Ralph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Malcolm.
      Dick was unique. He lived life his way and he died his way, with dignity. I was lucky to have been his friend.

      Delete
    2. Dear Ralph & Gayle,
      It is difficult to accept that Dick Whitaker has gone away and won't be taking part in any future get-togethers. The last time I saw him was at your home in Discovery Bay. You two were hosting the annual Lighted Boat Parade.
      Dick was as handsome as ever and meticulously dressed. His smile was always there with a bit of mischief in his eyes. Dick was a charmer and the genuine article. If you were fortunate enough to be his friend, you had a friend for life. He will be missed, and never forgotten.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jan. You're right. Unless Dick was fighting his way out of a bar, he had a classy side. He was generous, thoughtful, intelligent and my buddy for over 65 years. Dick was one-of-a kind. I was blessed to share my youth and my old age with him.

      Delete