Ralph Higgins

Ralph Higgins
color pencil sketch by Gayle Higgins

Quotes I Like


“Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

-Albert Einstein

StatCounter

Wednesday, August 15, 2012


Granite Veil

            You may think that my blog has turned into a “book selling” venture. It hasn’t, but I do have some of my books that I will introduce from time to time.  It’s a way to add variety to the blog.  At least that’s my excuse. But if you enjoy my blog, I think you will enjoy my novel, Granite Veil

            Granite Veil is the story of Steve Sanford, a Los Gatos real estate entrepreneur, and his quest for vengeance after the brutal murder of his wife.  The story winds through a series of violent encounters that are presented in juxtaposition with Steve’s profound spiritual journey.  Steve ends up in Folsom Prison with plenty of time to think.

The book is 310 pages of thought-provoking philosophical and theological debates carried through the story on the back of a murder mystery.  Granite Veil is a metaphorical reference to the fact that it was inside the gray granite walls of Folsom Prison that Steve was able to see through his intellectual preconceptions and find truth.  But Steve’s quest for retribution lands him in Folsom Prison, where he is the target of a hit put on him by someone on the outside.

The scenes inside the prison are authentic.  The California Department of Corrections provided me with a personal guided tour of Folsom for the novel, so my descriptions of activities, cell blocks, and procedures are accurate.  For example, I can confirm that hands holding mirrors pop out of the bars as you walk through cell blocks and prisoners really do make license plates.

Here’s what the back cover of the books says:

·        How did Steve end up in Folsom Prison during the most violent decade in the prison’s history and what are his chances for survival?
·        What is the true identity of the prison’s biggest, strongest, and most feared inmate and why is he focused so intently on Steve?
·        Who is the stunningly beautiful woman working to free Steve?
·        What is the surprising secret of Cell Block #5, which so dramatically catalyzed Steve’s philosophical search for truth?
·        Finally, can black and white truth exist in a world of gray?

Most of the folks who have read the book liked it.  A few disagreed with my premise, 
but very few.  I tried to cast doubt on some widely held beliefs, which can be uncomfortable for some.  Other readers were unable to put the books down, which is what I like to hear. 

            This novel can be purchased on Amazon for over $20.00 plus shipping and handling.   I have it for sale on my website for $13.95 plus $4.00 s/h.  Since those who put up with reading my blog deserve compensation, the novel is available to you for $8.95 plus $4.00 s/h. 

So for $12.95 I’ll send you signed copy of Granite Veil.  That’s getting close to my publishing cost and it’s a good deal.  Shipping costs are for domestic sales only.  If you are out of the country, which many of you are, let me know and I’ll check on shipping costs for you.

            To avoid confusion with Amazon and others, please reference my blog in a request by email (higgins@digitalpath.net).  Or you can send a check for $12.95 to: Ralph Higgins, 2252 Greenhorn Ranch Rd, Quincy, CA 95971 with your return address.

            Many of my books are available on my website (ralphhiggins.com), however most of the roughly 80 books I’ve done were with major publishers and I don’t have the rights to sell them.  I can only sell the books where I own the copyright.

            Okay.  That’s it for the sales pitch.  But I know that you’ll enjoy Granite Veil.  Until next week…
           

           

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ralph. Looks like the earth is on vacation in August with no one to comment. Surely you're ready with a post on the Ryan selection or on the amazing dirty race being waged by Obama's stand-ins. That will get comments, even from me I'll bet.
    Even with no comments I wait with baited breath for your new posts. Well maybe not, but keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pal. I thought the comment thing wasn't working anymore. Maybe I can come up with something to rattle some cages next time.

    ReplyDelete